Talk:Main Page

From BerryBots Wiki
Revision as of 21:38, 13 February 2013 by Voidious (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Suggestions

I think you should maybe add Asirra to this wiki. Since you seem to be having problems with spam, and remove the math one doesn't seem to work. Maybe liquid threads as well. Also, windows version, so I can finally play around with it. Mostly since I don't own a Mac, and all my linux machines have no GUI. --Chase (talk) 16:03, 13 February 2013 (MSK)

In case you don't want to use Asirra, there is also KittenAuth which does about the same thing, but doesn't have the microsoft spam in it. But it is also a bit older. --Chase (talk) 16:15, 13 February 2013 (MSK)

Yeah, I've been noting that this wiki is getting as much/more spam than RoboWiki lately, despite so much less linking to it. I'll check out those extensions. And I was actually hoping you or someone might be willing to test on Windows non-8 for me. :-) The full GUI is in a fairly polished state at this point and running on Mac/Linux/Windows, though I just added some pthreads stuff that I need to test on Windows (or switch to mthreads, not sure). So I'll try to get that posted in the next couple days. I've still got probably another couple weeks of stuff on my to-do list that I want in v1.1.0. --Voidious (talk) 18:36, 13 February 2013 (MSK)

Testing

Well, I had a few minutes and MinGW compiled my pthread stuff without much fuss, so here's the current dev version built on Windows 8/MinGW: berrybots_wintest1.zip (~20 MB). Hope it works! The main thing to run is berrybots.bat, which runs bbgui.exe with some additional local directories on the path (for SFML, wxWidgets, and libarchive libs, all in the zip). It's not cleanly packaged like the final binary release will be - source files and build scripts are all there too. --Voidious (talk) 19:40, 13 February 2013 (MSK)

I am grabbing it now and will let you know how it goes. --Chase (talk) 22:15, 13 February 2013 (MSK)
The short is that it doesn't work, not as is, not at all. The long of it is that it won't even compile with your supplied scripts in my build environment. I would have loved a linux makefile with all the windows paths set in it. After some fussing around I got the objects to build, and then finally link. But ti still failed to execute. A standard 0xC0000005 error. If you are curious it failed during the load of libstdc++-6.dll. Which means either my copy is bad (as I had to pull it from my mingw dir) or something else is going on. --Chase (talk) 23:11, 13 February 2013 (MSK)
By the way here is the script I used to build it and my copy of the executable. --Chase (talk) 23:15, 13 February 2013 (MSK)
Bummer! Major thanks for testing it. So if you just try to run berrybots.bat with the compiled bbgui.exe in the zip, is 0xC0000005 / libstdc++-6.dll error what you get? Or that's when compiling? I would like to figure out how to get a nice make or cmake build setup configured, but I haven't yet. My build process is currently like: build wxWidgets from source (into C:\wxWidgets-2.9.4), build SFML 2.0 from source (copy libs to ./sfml-lib), build libarchive with zlib (copy libarchive_static.a into ./libarchive), and then build_gui_windows.bat points to all of those. I'm guessing something in wxWidgets is at the heart of the compatibility issue, or a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue.
If you want, you could instead try building bbsfmlmain instead of bbguimain, which just runs individual battles from the command line in an SFML window (no GUI). That would rule out any wxWidgets issues. I'll try to do some research on MinGW + wxWidgets + Windows 8. --Voidious (talk) 23:25, 13 February 2013 (MSK)
It is the same for both. Both your copy and my copy fail in the same way on the same module. I only know which module because I check the event viewer.
On building main your script leaves out zipper.cpp tarzipper.cpp and -lpthread. After readding those, it builds. But it also seems to crash. But this time without an error message. The event viewer claims sfml-graphics-2.dll as the reason (why would it need graphics?).
If I had to guess the entire application seems entirely windows unfriendly. I might look into it, but its been awhile since I have done C/C++ work. So I probably won't be much help. --Chase (talk) 23:51, 13 February 2013 (MSK)
I'm able to duplicate this by removing MinGW stuff from my path. I just need to straighten out static linking and/or including the .dll's for a couple things. Hope to have another test version posted soon for anyone still willing to help. It's true I started on Mac, then Linux, then Windows, but I've spent a bunch of time on all platforms at this point. And wxWidgets + SFML are quite well tested on all platforms, with probably the most attention given to Windows, so I think once I get the build process nailed down it should be ok. --Voidious (talk) 23:53, 13 February 2013 (MSK)
Sure i'll be around for awhile longer. --Chase (talk) 00:14, 14 February 2013 (MSK)
Ok, the simplest solution with my current setup is just to include the missing MinGW DLL's. You can grab them here and drop them in the berrybots/ dir and that might work. (Updated zip with them here.) I was able to run without MinGW on my path once I did that. I'd rather not have to include .dll's, so I'm going to try to statically link against these and wxWidgets (which also depends on them), but that will take some time. Thanks again for the testing help - a lot of this type of application environment is new to me. The Raspberry Pi is much simpler. =) --Voidious (talk) 00:38, 14 February 2013 (MSK)
Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
Navigation
Toolbox