BerryBots forums

It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Forums are back online
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

The forums are back online after cleaning a massive amount of spam. So that's a BIG weight off my shoulders and the BerryBots community has a place to exist again.

Unfortunately, I made a big mistake and deleted the user accounts of Frohman and Justin, two of the first and most active bot authors. Sad pandas everywhere. :-( You can still find their bots here: I recovered and reposted their main "all of my bots" posts, and I saved those threads myself from Google's cache. But I think that's the best I can do for now - anything more probably isn't worth the effort. Hopefully, Frohman and Justin will come back and make more and better bots in the future and post about them.

Now, back to work making BerryBots cool enough to attract forum activity. Have a nice weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:12 am 

No worries, I've been MIA since my last recent activities here because of university (graduated now, bsc majoring in computer science)! Routinely checked your site for news on the game while I was studying, though -- saw the competition post but was too busy to be able to enter it, sadly.

Great to hear you're still working on it, I'll likely start putting together some more interesting bots to keep myself programming.
I'd hate to leave the best bot as the really simple joke bot I made, hilariously unexpected as its performance was; I'll just have to come up with something more sane that is capable of dealing with it.

If that doesn't prove very doable, maybe you might have to consider tweaking gameplay parameters to ensure outright speed isn't such a huge advantage!
(Obviously a tricky topic as there isn't much in the way of a meta to compare against yet, but as far as I can tell, there's very little downside to thrusting constantly, or alternatively, moving very fast)

Adding drag, modifying weapon effectiveness (accuracy, power, rate of fire) based on speed or thruster power...
Or my favourite, simply adding collision damage (even with just stage walls)!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:27 am 
Site Admin

Congrats on graduation! :-) Great to have you back. And also great to see a couple other new folks in the forums recently.

I will give some thought to gameplay tweaks in case high speeds prove to be too strong a tactic. Wall/ram damage and maybe even drag could probably be added by a stage, or could be implemented in the game engine and be configurable by the stage. Modifying weapon behavior based on movement speed is also an interesting idea.

But I do like the simplicity of the current rules and don't want to overreact while bots are still not very advanced yet. We don't have any laser dodging movements yet, though I know NightShade at least tracks waves for enemy lasers (you can see them in his debugging graphics). I may make a new stage with some strong bots soon to offer a new challenge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:22 am 

Yeah, there isn't a large enough sample to see the extent of any advantages yet. Just impact damage, likely with a minimum impact velocity (and maybe not even ramming damage between bots) is what I was thinking of, for the arena/battle stages.

Issue of course would be potentially complicating simple combat bot designs (which might wind up killing themselves!).

But when I think about it -- what's the downside of constantly accelerating to maximise velocity? I suppose related, what's the downside of constantly shooting? (missing opportunities to fire an accurate shot exactly when you need to)

High-impact-only penalty damage would turn maintaining a high speed into an advantage more complicated bots can use, by route planning and obstacle avoidance while optimising for velocity. Bots with simpler movement routines would either work in wall-avoidance/repulsion, or keep within safe speed limits.

We'll have to see after hopefully a new wave of awesome bots!