BerryBots forums

It is currently Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:25 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Let's have a tournament!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:32 pm 

I propose we have a tournament to encourage to BerryBot development. I know it will be quite small but if we can get at least Voidious, Justin, Frohman and I to make a bot for it it could be interesting.

Purely a normal battle for this one on several different stages, the next one could be jousting and then the next racing etc until we have built up a few more players.

I propose the end of Jan for the submission deadline and then Voidious can run the tourney or however it works. What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:09 pm 
Site Admin

That would be awesome! If there's enough interest... Let's try to hash out some details (stages, battles per pairing, tournament format) and then I'll try to get the word out. Maybe I can come up with some prizes too. I've been meaning to make a BerryBots t-shirt (just for myself), so maybe t-shirts. Could also do cash or maybe some type of gadget, though I'm not sure how serious we want it to be.

So here's a draft rule set, off the top of my head:

* Stage pool = battle1, battle2 ... I think battle3 is kinda weird, so I'd leave that out. We could also easily make new stages.
* Each pairing = best of 7 matches, each on a random stage
* Tournament format = simpletourney with round-robin to determine seeding (only tweak would be to stage selection)

Also, just posting links to bots works - I could run the tournament locally and post the results and replays. But I could also come up with something snazzy leading up to it, like a variant of the playberrybots.com UI where you could write/test against existing and sample battle bots on the tournament stages, and optionally submit it to the tournament right through the form, too.

I'd feel kind of weird as the game author to also be competing. I'd be up for it, but especially if we have any nice prizes, I might have to recuse myself. ;) I do have that learning gun I'd like to get back to, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:19 am 

Ooh I wasn't planning on prizes but that would be cool especially a T-shirt. You definitely have to complete, no point making a game if you don't get to play it :p

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

This thread is all that's happened so far. :-) Sorry, I've been on vacation until this week and also wanted to give a little time to discuss rules. I'll try to get a rule set and info together and announced in the next few days. I'll use roughly the draft I put above unless you folks want to discuss some changes first.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry for dragging my feet on this, but looking to get this together over the weekend. Hopefully you two haven't lost interest by now... ;) The participant bots, tourney code, and replays will definitely be made available with the results.

The only thing I'm still contemplating is how to organize this so that I'm satisfied the result is fair.
  • If you make each matchup have a lot of battles, that's a pretty good solution. But then it's still advantageous to enter multiple bots. I don't want to restrict authors to 1 bot since that's hard to verify - better to remove the incentive.
  • I could make each matchup a moderate number of battles (7 or 9) and then run the tournament itself 10,000 times and take the most common winner. I think this neutralizes the value of entering multiple bots. (You're splitting your wins over multiple bots, and less chance of the "true" best bot getting unlucky vs one of your myriad bots.) But this kind of sucks and doesn't quite feel like a tournament. And what replays / tournament bracket would I post as the results?
  • It could also just be a ladder where everyone faces everyone, like the RoboRumble.

Feedback welcome. I'll probably go with 9 battles per matchup and just one tournament run. With the round-robin up front to determine seeding, it should be pretty fair / reproducible. Or maybe I'll list it as "9+ battles" and then test if the result is reproducible enough to satisfy me - if it's not, I can re-run with more battles until it's stable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:06 am 
Site Admin

Alright, last update before this actually kicks off! I've got almost everything in order, just finishing up some playberrybots.com web UI stuff so you can develop and submit right from there. Probably announcing on Sunday/Monday with a submission deadline in late February.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

Sweet, check it out: the BerryBots Little League! (When we grow up, we can get a "Rumble". ;) )

You can just upload your bot through a web form, but I've also made it very easy to develop and submit a bot from PlayBerryBots.com/battle. Hopefully we'll have more luck recruiting new players if we can just pass them a URL.

Please let me know if you see anything wrong with the rules or anything else. Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 am 
Site Admin

Frohman wrote:
Neat! I'll definitely be entering.
It's one bot per person, yes?

Cool! No, you can enter as many bots as you like. I don't think it would be particularly advantageous to enter tons of bots with this format, because of the seeding and the number of matches per pairing.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:11 am 

Awesome will get on to this sometime soon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Got my t-shirt (for myself, 2XL) yesterday. Woot! http://imgur.com/a/TlZMS

The green's a little not-vibrant and I might want to try another design with two ships shooting at each other, kinda like the icon I made for http://twitter.com/roborumble. That might be a little more recognizable as a t-shirt for a programming game. ;)