BerryBots forums

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Frohman's Bots
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:01 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the original post from Frohman, which I accidentally deleted:
Quote:
I'll drop any of my bots here for reference, and update as I go along!

Insolitus.
It's an interesting bot as its movement system was originally going to be based off of the gravity type ones seen in Robocode (but given the movement in Berrybots, I figured they might fit a bit better). A little oversight when I first wrote it lead to the movement acting up when I tested it - but the messed up movement seemed to be quite effective in the battle arenas: after sticking a form of linear targeting on I found it could best BasicBattler with just its guns alone, so I kept the funky movement and added in the ability for it to use torpedoes.

Updated this guy with slightly better logic, nothing major, practically the same performance.

[Packaged Bot] [Source]

Odi Gravitas
Was meaning to turn this prototype into something. Its core mechanic is quite straightforward - simply treat various objects as sources of pushing or pulling force (anti-gravity and gravity) of various strengths. It assigns force values to enemy bots and predicted enemy fire, and simply floats along the resulting sum of forces.
I haven't tweaked this guy much, and he's using the same gun as Insolitus (I really need to work on a better gun ;c), but so far I've found him to be quite effective.

Anywho here are the links:
[Packaged Bot] [Source]
(now supports team battles!)

Awesome! Pretty exciting to see the first non-sample bot. :-) I haven't looked at the code yet, but just watched him stomp BasicBattler a bit. Also tried him in free-for-all (not sure if he's designed for that), where he died pretty quickly but racked up pretty good points anyway. Nice work!

Insolitus also exposed a small bug in BerryBots. The metadata in the package says the main bot file is "frohman\insolitus.lua", which BerryBots fails to find on non-Windows. So anyone on non-Windows, you'll have to go into the berrybots/cache dir and change it (in bot.filename) to a "/" to try Insolitus until I fix this. I'll get a bug-fix release out in the next few days.

I also fixed the wiki registration, sorry about that. It was getting a lot of spam so I setup Asirra, but missed a dependency.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:38 am 
Site Admin

Nice work! Looks like he's quite a bit stronger than Insolitus. Ran some tests and he beat Insolitus 10/10 and BasicBattler 10/10, while Insolitus loses to BasicBattler sometimes. The graphics and colors are really nice looking and his melee performance is strong too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:57 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry I still haven't tried out your team support yet, but very cool to hear you've added it. Teams strikes me as a cool feature that never really gained much traction in Robocode. I think the BerryBots team support has a lot of potential for more coordinated team strategies.

I really want to support Capture the Flag at some point, too - I think I'd only need one or two small new features to support that. Either letting the stage place some type of object on the stage, or just letting the stage draw arbitrary (non-debugging) graphics and using the existing custom events to send info to teams about the state of the flag.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

Very cool! Watching Sanic vs Cortez is kinda nuts. :-) And I think your ASCII art broke my replay data parsing, so I'll get that fixed pronto. The next version will be out pretty soon.

About indicating team support, I think it's a more general problem of indicating compatibility between ships and stages / rule sets. One thing I've planned for a while is to let the stage program set a string into the StageBuilder to indicate the rule set, like "battle" or "teambattle" or "maze". Ships would have access to this through the "world" object, so they'd know what type of game to play. For instance, NightShade supports battles and races and even some mazes. It would be a lot better if he didn't have to guess between the rule sets. And with some types of stages you wouldn't be able to guess.

But that idea would be for the benefit of bot development. Another use case is letting you filter invalid combinations when selecting ships and stages. Then ships would also need a facility to indicate rules compatibility. Is that what you had in mind? Or something else?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, wow! Sanic really does a number on NightShade. I think this is the first bot to beat NightShade in 1v1? And I ran some 1v1 tourneys with all the decent bots I have (using the simpletourney Game Runner) and Sanic wins. Awesome job! :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

I think it does seem like a good strategy in general. One thing to be careful about is getting too close to the enemy. If you're bouncing around and end up too close, you might find yourself vulnerable to a well-timed torpedo shot, which are much easier to aim at close range. But that kind of metagame takes some time to evolve.