BerryBots forums

It is currently Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:15 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:46 pm 

Hi there.

I have in the last couple of days stumbled across robocode and have been playing around with it. Wow! Pretty amazing stuff. I have accidentally stumbled onto your project and my jaw has dropped even further. Man I just love what you have created here. As I do not know much about robocode I think I will probably spend some time there learning the concepts but will definitely keep a close eye on what is happening over here. I am a bit daunted by learning a new language (Lua :shock: ). I just wish there were more tutorials for raw beginners like me. I hope that your site generates the momentum that it deserves.

Do you think that it would be possible to create new language plug ins for javascript, C#, java etc. The other thing that would really help beginners like me, which is in robocode is the ability to see the properties of the bots such as location, energy etc. Any chance of porting this onto the web?

Anyway enough rambling..
Once again congratulations on an amazing concept.

Cheers

Peter K.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the kind words! :) Robocode's a great game with an amazing community, I expect you'll have lots of fun with it.

For tutorials, you mean like Robocode's My First Robot tutorial? That does seem like something I've neglected. I'm curious what you mean about not seeing bot locations and energy - that stuff is passed to the run function. Or did you mean something else? I guess it would be clearer if I had that tutorial... ;)

If you mean tutorials for Lua itself, the Lua-users Tutorial Directory has been a great resource for me. I'm actually quite new to Lua myself. It's certainly not as popular as Java or Python, but it is a pretty nice little language that's perfect for this type of application, and it seems to be gaining steam.

Supporting multiple languages is really hard, so I'm not sure I'll ever try it with BerryBots. And not just technically hard - it introduces game design issues too, like how do you fairly limit CPU time when one language is 80x faster than another. Fnl has hinted he may try for some language independence in Robocode 2, so I'll be curious to see how that turns out.

I am very interested in having a web-based game, though, whether it's BerryBots or something new. It's a lot easier to draw people in if they can just do everything in a browser. I'm working on HTML5 rendering of BerryBots matches and posted a demo: http://berrybots.com/misc/battle1_replay.html ... For now I just plan to use this for saving/sharing replays. But I may try setting something up where you can write/upload your bot through a web UI, the match runs on a server, and then you watch the replay.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:59 am 

Hi,
thanks for your answer and your thoughts.
As for seeing the properties of the robots in real time, I was referring to the debug console which has two tabs. The first tab you can look at the console output and in the other tab you see the robots position.

I had a look at the web page with the replay and it works just great!

Anyway again congratulations on an amazing concept and good luck with your good work. I am looking forward to watching this site get more and more popular with time.

Cheers

Peter K

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:21 am 

I found this site called Grobots.
http://web.archive.org/web/200604240533 ... forge.net/

I am really impressed by the user interface and the tool that he provides especially the debugger.
Any thoughts about this?

Hope this finds you well.

Cheers

Peter K.